Topic-icon Possible issue with random number generation?

• skydog
  • skydog's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
21 Mar 2018 19:20 #40261 by skydog
skydog replied.

NextName wrote: You started this thread with "I ask because in all-in situations when I'm a clear favorite, it seems that about 9 out of 10 times I get beat."

I don't see a Problem in checking the server-side randomizer. But even should that be sub-optimal in any way -- do you really think the result would be lots of bad beats per se -- or lots of bad beats against YOU personally?

That's somewhat of a loaded question, so instead of answering it I'll provide a metaphor:

If I was playing at a home game with some friends and a progression of improbable events began to play out, and then I noticed that the dealer had been doing a very poor job of shuffling the deck, say with nothing more than three or four overhand shuffles between hands, I would either 1) teach the dealer how to shuffle the cards correctly, or 2) ask for a dealer replacement who could do a better job.

In the case of pokerth, we don't have the luxury of observing the dealer to determine whether it is doing its job effectively, hence my questions.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Mar 2018 08:45 #40268 by NextName
NextName replied.

skydog wrote: If I was playing at a home game with some friends and a progression of improbable events began to play out, [..]

And that's the point I'm trying to make: how do you observe this "progression of improbable Events?"

We all know that people tend to notice the "bad beats" they're receiving much, much more than the ones their opponents are dealt.

Plus, if you're ahead 80:20 on showdown, on average 1 out of five times you lose.
But to determine that something is "off," you need a large sample size (i.e., losing 4 times out of 10 is ridiculously small sample size; losing 400 in 1000, now we're talking).

Hence my question: have you mined logs?
The following user(s) said Thank You: boehmi, Ghost__, Ingolf17

More
22 Mar 2018 11:00 #40269 by boehmi
boehmi replied.

skydog wrote:

NextName wrote: You started this thread with "I ask because in all-in situations when I'm a clear favorite, it seems that about 9 out of 10 times I get beat."

I don't see a Problem in checking the server-side randomizer. But even should that be sub-optimal in any way -- do you really think the result would be lots of bad beats per se -- or lots of bad beats against YOU personally?

That's somewhat of a loaded question, so instead of answering it I'll provide a metaphor:

If I was playing at a home game with some friends and a progression of improbable events began to play out, and then I noticed that the dealer had been doing a very poor job of shuffling the deck, say with nothing more than three or four overhand shuffles between hands, I would either 1) teach the dealer how to shuffle the cards correctly, or 2) ask for a dealer replacement who could do a better job.

In the case of pokerth, we don't have the luxury of observing the dealer to determine whether it is doing its job effectively, hence my questions.

Unless you deliberately stack the cards in a certain way to favor one player and know the order of the cards, a "badly shuffled" deck of cards will sometimes favor the underdog and sometimes favor the favorite. I think in the long run it will level out.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ghost__, Ingolf17

• skydog
  • skydog's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
22 Mar 2018 15:54 - 22 Mar 2018 20:06 #40270 by skydog
skydog replied.
All I'm concerned with is winning poker games, so to that end I do whatever it is that's going to give me the best chance to win. It's really as simple as that.

If I think mining logs is going to give me the best chance to win poker games, then I'll mine logs. If I think it's improving the entropy pool of the server, then that's what I'll do.

But tonight I have a big game coming up at the rabbit cage so that's what I'm focused on right now, and any topic that doesn't have to do with preparing to beat the rabbit is a topic for another day.

More
23 Mar 2018 18:54 #40278 by Ingolf17
Ingolf17 replied.
Preparing for hunting wabbits? :lol:

https://www.pokernews.com/pokerterms/rabbit-hunting.htm

File Attachment:

https://tinyurl.com/y9v2ct5b
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ghost__

Champions of

PokerTH - live

The PokerTH spectator tool.

Member Login

advert
NOTE! This site uses cookies and similar technologies.
Cookies make it easier for us to provide you with our services. With the usage of our services you permit us to use cookies.
More information

We use cookies to personalize content and ads to offer features for social media and analyze the number of hits on our website. We also provide information about your use of our website to our partner for social media, advertising and analysis on.
http://www.google.com/intl/de/policies/privacy/partners/