Topic-icon Some thoughts

More
23 Apr 2020 18:49 - 23 Apr 2020 19:20 #46157 by -Njet-
-Njet- created the topic: Some thoughts
Hello everyone.

As I don't remember my forum login credentials for "Njet" or even opening up a forum account with that nick name I'll just try a new one.

So here are some thoughts about what could be added to the software. I don't really know how easy or difficult it would be to put it into the game so I'll just write it down from a user's perspective without considering the programming part.

General

- Meanwhile the user list in the lobby has become quite long which doesn't make it easier to see if certain people are online. There could be a right-click option to mark someone as a "friend" or more neutrally to just "add to watch list" the same way as you ignore someone so that added player gets a permanent color underlay in the lobby user list. Plus: if you could not just sort alphabetically or by country or by inactive players but also by your watch list everyone would have his own watch list without developers having to add a complicated watch list system to the game.

- An in-game list sorted by the amount of coins every player on the table has would give a better overview. It just could be put into the right tool box as one option to choose from.

- Often and with corona more often players ask when another player has been seen for the last time. As far as I've understood PokerTH doesn't log the log in and log off data and I think that's a good thing but maybe there could put be a "last seen on" message on someone's profile as soon as he logs out - opt-in in the preferences only because some may not feel comfortable with it.

As an alternative thought: every player gets a personal shout box with a limited amount of characters for his profile. Either he doesn't do anything with it or he uses it by writing something or it's being used for the "last seen on" message if that player opted in to that option.

Ranking

- When you play and you click on any player you get on a stat page of all players on the table where you can see the ranks and other stats. It would be great to also be able to see the results of everyone's last five games. You can see that on every profile but this way you would have it from everyone on just one page.

BBC

I'm not really sure about this because to me it seems BBC technically is an invitiation-only game like any other and everything has to be made manually yet I wondered if it could get automated more just like a ranking game. Only option I see is making BBC a new category (ranking game, registered-only, invitation-only, BBC) itself which works like an invitation-only ranking game with the requirement of being opened by an confirmed admin. This would solve some log problems that appear now and then and admins wouldn't need to stay to the end of every game plus you could have a stats page like in ranking game when you click on any player from within a game.

On the other hand BBC has been around for some years and you'll probably thought that through already. It's also basically up to all admin's decisions as they are doing all the work.

Donations

The donation chat message isn't nice to look at but maybe it serves its purpose. An alternative would be a permanent support button in the lobby f.e. at the right bottom corner.

Another idea of mine was to motivate people to donate by giving them something digital for the game in return like a frame for the profile pic or something like that. Nothing big or special just a thank you. Yet I see a possible problem with that as it could somehow damage the "innocence" of PokerTH as a free and uncomplicated poker game. Also it could lead to some kind of two-class system with those who obviously did donate and those you obviously didn't.

But maybe that thought is able to give some inspiration donation-wise.

That's it for the moment. See you in-game.
The following user(s) said Thank You: israelac, Doc Ijiwaru, sp0ck, Ingolf17, tahr

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Apr 2020 20:04 - 23 Apr 2020 20:25 #46159 by sp0ck
sp0ck replied.
Hi Njet,

pretty nice thoughts you have. Thanks a lot!

As I don't remember my forum login credentials for "Njet" or even opening up a forum account with that nick name I'll just try a new one.

Just fixed - should work with your normal game password now.

- Meanwhile the user list in the lobby has become quite long which doesn't make it easier to see if certain people are online. There could be a right-click option to mark someone as a "friend" or more neutrally to just "add to watch list" the same way as you ignore someone so that added player gets a permanent color underlay in the lobby user list. Plus: if you could not just sort alphabetically or by country or by inactive players but also by your watch list everyone would have his own watch list without developers having to add a complicated watch list system to the game.

That is a nice idea - can be solved on client-side only.

- An in-game list sorted by the amount of coins every player on the table has would give a better overview. It just could be put into the right tool box as one option to choose from.

Too much effort for a free game - but on the list now.

- Often and with corona more often players ask when another player has been seen for the last time. As far as I've understood PokerTH doesn't log the log in and log off data and I think that's a good thing but maybe there could put be a "last seen on" message on someone's profile as soon as he logs out - opt-in in the preferences only because some may not feel comfortable with it.

We could maybe create a poll about it. We are really strict with privacy - and I'm not sure if every player wants other players to know about last login.

As an alternative thought: every player gets a personal shout box with a limited amount of characters for his profile. Either he doesn't do anything with it or he uses it by writing something or it's being used for the "last seen on" message if that player opted in to that option.

Better the above way kinda - too much effort else.

- When you play and you click on any player you get on a stat page of all players on the table where you can see the ranks and other stats. It would be great to also be able to see the results of everyone's last five games. You can see that on every profile but this way you would have it from everyone on just one page.

Nice idea - relates to the web-site - on the list now.

BBC

This includes WEC also. Both events are community driven - I do not see an urgent need to integrate a special game-type for these.

The donation chat message isn't nice to look at but maybe it serves its purpose. An alternative would be a permanent support button in the lobby f.e. at the right bottom corner.

I agree ... must be annyoing... but a 2nd server and a paied email send service is needed these days in addition. It would be wrong to stop the announcements now. A Button in the client would mean a complete new client release. Would take weeks or months with the small dev-team we are atm - just for that I'd not put out a new client release.

Another idea of mine was to motivate people to donate by giving them something digital for the game in return like a frame for the profile pic or something like that. Nothing big or special just a thank you. Yet I see a possible problem with that as it could somehow damage the "innocence" of PokerTH as a free and uncomplicated poker game. Also it could lead to some kind of two-class system with those who obviously did donate and those you obviously didn't.

Again privacy yeah. Many donators I talked to prefer to keep it secret. All or none maybe?

Kind regards.
The following user(s) said Thank You: boehmi, israelac, Doc Ijiwaru, Ingolf17, tahr, joanna1

More
23 Apr 2020 21:21 - 23 Apr 2020 21:23 #46162 by Njet
Njet replied.

sp0ck wrote: Just fixed - should work with your normal game password now.

Thanks, it works. If it won't delete this thread I'll delete "-Njet-" then.

We could maybe create a poll about it. We are really strict with privacy - and I'm not sure if every player wants other players to know about last login.

Privacy is an important issue and I like PokerTh being aware of it. As far as I thought about it the last login option would be deactivated by default and someone who wants to use it would have to activate it in the preferences and could also deactivate it at any time so it would be up to everyone to use it or not.

Again privacy yeah. Many donators I talked to prefer to keep it secret. All or none maybe

I'd rather say none then because no one should be forced to be open about their donations especially after so many have said they don't wanna be open about it. Another option would be letting donators choose if they want that "thank you" or rather not.

But in the end I'm not really convinced by the whole thought in general because I don't think PokerTh should be too much about money and buying something. I basically look for ways to motivate people to donate because you said that's an issue nowadays because of higher costs. Maybe a big special tournament for everyone when the yearly costs are covered?

After all I still think it would be best if it worked out with just as few reminders and measures as necessary.
The following user(s) said Thank You: israelac, sp0ck, Ingolf17, joanna1

More
23 Apr 2020 21:32 - 23 Apr 2020 21:46 #46163 by sp0ck
sp0ck replied.

Maybe a big special tournament for everyone when the yearly costs are covered?

I offer June/July - but we need you too Njet :evil:
Organizing Cups makes fun - but it's also work.
Pls think about a topic idea / theme. B)

I don't think PokerTh should be too much about money and buying something.

100% agree - I so love playing for virtual chips only in a 100% open-source game.
The following user(s) said Thank You: boehmi, Doc Ijiwaru, Ingolf17

More
23 Apr 2020 22:23 - 23 Apr 2020 22:28 #46164 by Njet
Njet replied.

sp0ck wrote: I offer June/July - but we need you too Njet :evil:
Organizing Cups makes fun - but it's also work.
Pls think about a topic idea / theme. B)

I'll give it some thought maybe I can come up with some kind of special tournament system ideas/topics or something like that. And I'm sure I could support in some way if it happens. ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Doc Ijiwaru, sp0ck

More
24 Apr 2020 20:28 #46175 by *FireDragon*
*FireDragon* replied.

-Njet- wrote:
BBC

I'm not really sure about this because to me it seems BBC technically is an invitiation-only game like any other and everything has to be made manually yet I wondered if it could get automated more just like a ranking game.

can be implemented in a separate BBC server (based on PokerTH). I don't see a problem. settings for ranking games need to be changed (e.g. Step 1). BBC fork :)

Champions of

PokerTH - live

The PokerTH spectator tool.

Member Login

advert
NOTE! This site uses cookies and similar technologies.
Cookies make it easier for us to provide you with our services. With the usage of our services you permit us to use cookies.
More information

We use cookies to personalize content and ads to offer features for social media and analyze the number of hits on our website. We also provide information about your use of our website to our partner for social media, advertising and analysis on.
http://www.google.com/intl/de/policies/privacy/partners/