Topic-icon What is the formula for min-raise and reraise?

More
20 Jun 2020 07:25 - 20 Jun 2020 16:00 #46940 by dkvlko
dkvlko created the topic: What is the formula for min-raise and reraise?
I am a newbie.I played four person pokerTH game many times on computer but failed to understand following scenarios.I hope understanding these will help me become a better player. Kindly clear my confusions if possible(four players are SB , BB , Dealer and Player 1)
(The formula for Raise appears to be= Previous Bet +Previous Bet – BB but it doesn’t seem to apply to all scenarios below)
All Scenarios relate to preflop only.

Scenario 1:
I am playing Small Blind. I post small blind $10. Big Blind posts $20. Player 1 calls $20. Dealer calls $20. Next I can Fold , Call($10) , or Raise. My question is what should be my minimum raise and why ? (Computer says $30 )

Scenario 2:
I am playing Dealer. SB posts $10. BB posts $20 . Player 1 bets $40. Next I can Fold , Call ($40),Raise. My question is what should be my minimum raise and why ? (Computer says $60)

Scenario 3:
I am the Player One. SB posts $10.BB posts $20. Next I can Fold ,Call ($20) or Raise. My question is what should be my minimum raise and why ? (Computer says $40)

Scenario 4:
I am playing Big Blind. SB posts $10. I play $20. Player 1 folds. Dealer calls $20. SB bets $30. Next I get the option to Fold , Call ($20) or Raise. My question is what should be my minimum raise and why ?(Computer says $40)

In short what is the formula for minimum raise and re-raise?

Thanks!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Jun 2020 09:42 #46941 by israelac
israelac replied.
you are short with the scenario

More
20 Jun 2020 12:41 #46942 by dkvlko
dkvlko replied.
I hope I am able to communicate the essence of my problem. Any help will be appreciated.

More
20 Jun 2020 15:19 - 20 Jun 2020 15:42 #46943 by All Inn IDOIT
All Inn IDOIT replied.
Hi dkvlko.

I think you are making this a lot harder than what it really is.

Minraise = 1 BB

In poker, position plays a huge part on how you should play different hands.
In the scenarios you describe Player 1 is what we call "Under The Gun" or UTG. That means he is the first to act preflop. BB is last to act preflop.

So if Player 1 wants to be in the pot he has to pay 1 BB, or he could chose to raise. Then minraise is 1BB.

Let us say Player1 chooses to minraise, making the price to be in the pot 2 BB. The player who comes after, in your scenario the Dealer, now has to pay 2BB to be in the pot, or he could choose to raise. Still minraise is 1 BB.

The players who have SB and BB always have to pay that for this hand no matter what.

SB = 1/2 BB

Let us now say the Dealer chooses to minraise. That now means 3 BB to be in the pot.

SB, who comes after, now has to pay 2,5 BB since he has already paid 1/2 BB, making it 3 BB in total to be in the pot, or he could fold and lose 1/2 BB.

The same now goes for BB, who have to pay 2 BB to be in the pot, or fold and lose 1 BB.

Player 1 has to pay 1 BB to be in the pot, making it 3 BB in total.

So to be in the pot, you have to pay the price the other players have made it. If you have already paid a part of the price, as for SB and BB and also Player 1 since he got reraised, you have to pay what the other players have raised on top of that.

It is common that the BB goes up as the game progresses depending on what type of game you play.
On ranking games here the BB doubles after every 11th hand.
Another option is to use time, say it goes up every 5 minutes for example.

I hope this helped.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sp0ck, tripitaka

More
20 Jun 2020 16:12 #46944 by dkvlko
dkvlko replied.
Thanks !!
That solved my problem for the preflop round. I got confused by the variety of answers on the internet.
Is the logic for min-raising remains the same for the other rounds like turn etc..?

More
20 Jun 2020 22:13 - 20 Jun 2020 22:45 #46947 by dkvlko
dkvlko replied.
Consider the following situation :
In the TURN round only two players are left. Me and Player One.
1. I bet $20
2. Player One bets $120
3. I get the next chance to either Call ($100) or Raise. Computer tells me the min raise should be $200.
According to you Raise amount should be Call + Big Blind but in this round there is no big blind. So what is happening here?

EDIT:I found an inconsistency in the logic. While playing pokerTH only 3 players remains in preflop round.
Consider the moves(I am the dealer) :
1. SB posts $10
2. BB posts $20
3. I bet $40
4. SB calls $30
5. BB bets $80
Now what should be my options for raising given that I can call for $60? Computer tells me I can raise by $120. How is that possible ? AS per my understanding , Min Raise = 1 BB therefore Total Raise amount = Call amount + 1 BB = 60 +20 = $80 but that is not happening. Please explain. Thanks a lot.

Champions of

PokerTH - live

The PokerTH spectator tool.

Member Login

advert
NOTE! This site uses cookies and similar technologies.
Cookies make it easier for us to provide you with our services. With the usage of our services you permit us to use cookies.
More information

We use cookies to personalize content and ads to offer features for social media and analyze the number of hits on our website. We also provide information about your use of our website to our partner for social media, advertising and analysis on.
http://www.google.com/intl/de/policies/privacy/partners/